Hotels in the Middle East reported a 2.4% occupancy increase to 62.2% during the third quarter as ADR decreased 6.7% to $131.49 and RevPAR dipped 4.5% to $81.80. Africa's hotel occupancy rose 1% to 64% during the quarter, ADR increased 3.5% to $105.43 and RevPAR rose 4.5% to $67.53.
- Manama occupancy noticeably high, room rates low
- Doha Centre hotels see performance boost from double-digit demand growth
Hotels in the Middle East reported mixed Q3 2019 performance results, while hotels in Africa posted increases across the three key performance metrics, according to data from STR.
U.S. dollar constant currency, Q3 2019 vs. Q3 2018
• Occupancy: +2.4% to 62.2%
• Average daily rate (ADR): -6.7% to US$131.49
• Revenue per available room (RevPAR): -4.5% to US$81.80
• Occupancy: +1.0% to 64.0%
• Average daily rate (ADR): +3.5% to US$105.43
• Revenue per available room (RevPAR): +4.5% to US$67.53
Local currency, Q3 2019 vs. Q3 2018
• Occupancy: +3.8% to 55.5%
• ADR: +0.2% to BHD58.59
• RevPAR: +4.1% to BHD32.51
The absolute occupancy level was the highest for a third quarter in Manama since 2010, while the ADR level was the second-lowest for a Q3 since 2008. STR analysts note that August was the strongest month of the quarter when looking at absolute values: occupancy (59.3%), ADR (BHD61.33) and RevPAR (BHD36.38).
Doha Centre, Qatar
• Occupancy: +9.0% to 63.1%
• ADR: -0.7% to QAR261.51
• RevPAR: +8.2% to QAR165.03
The absolute occupancy level, driven by a 17.2% increase in demand, was the highest for a Q3 in Doha since 2014. When looking at individual months, September was Doha’s first month with a year-over-year increase in ADR since January 2015. STR analysts note that steady double-digit increases in demand have helped raise pricing confidence.
STR provides clients from multiple market sectors with premium, global data benchmarking, analytics and marketplace insights. Founded in 1985, STR maintains a presence in 10 countries around the world with a corporate North American headquarters in Hendersonville, Tennessee, and an international headquarters in London, England. For more information, please visit str.com.