Hotels in the Middle East grew occupancy by 4.1% to 74.6% in April as ADR declined 7.1% to $148.28 and RevPAR decreased 3.3% to $110.62. Africa hotel occupancy rose 0.8% to 62.1%, ADR jumped 8.1% to $116.18 and RevPAR rose 9% to $72.15 for the month.
- Cape Town performance up from weak April in 2018
- Amman demand boosted by multiple festivals
Hotels in the Middle East reported mixed April 2019 performance results, while hotels in Africa posted growth across the three key performance metrics, according to data from STR.
U.S. dollar constant currency, April 2019 vs. April 2018
• Occupancy: +4.1% to 74.6%
• Average daily rate (ADR): -7.1% to US$148.28
• Revenue per available room (RevPAR): -3.3% to US$110.62
• Occupancy: +0.8% to 62.1%
• Average daily rate (ADR): +8.1% to US$116.18
• Revenue per available room (RevPAR): +9.0% to US$72.15
Local currency, April 2019 vs. April 2018
Cape Town, South Africa
• Occupancy: +8.5% to 62.2%
• ADR: +8.2% to ZAR1,631.71
• RevPAR: +17.3% to ZAR1,014.60
STR analysts note that the strong increases were due to the year-over-year comparison with a weak April 2018, which was impacted by the water crisis in the country. Oxford Economics’ 2019 forecast for South Africa projects a 4.8% jump in overnight tourist arrivals to the country. However, the upcoming presidential elections may impact tourism arrivals in the short term.
• Occupancy: +7.7% to 72.7%
• ADR: +1.2% to JOD100.21
• RevPAR: +9.1% to JOD72.81
The occupancy and RevPAR levels were the highest for an April in Amman since 2014. Demand (+7.7%) was driven by the Amman Jazz Festival (19-23 April), the 11th Amman Contemporary Dance Festival (6-20 April) and the Brazilian Food Festival (24-27 April).
STR provides clients from multiple market sectors with premium, global data benchmarking, analytics and marketplace insights. Founded in 1985, STR maintains a presence in 10 countries around the world with a corporate North American headquarters in Hendersonville, Tennessee, and an international headquarters in London, England. For more information, please visit str.com.