Report examines a decade of technological change, identifying key trends that will reshape business and government in the next 18-24 months
Deloitte released its milestone 10th annual report on technology trends, “Tech Trends 2019: Beyond the digital frontier.” The report explores how the convergence of new technologies with powerful technological forces is driving disruption across industries. New technologies include advanced networking, serverless computing and intelligent interfaces; and technological forces encompassing digital experiences, cognitive and cloud.
Ten years ago, when smartphones and mobile apps were gaining traction, and technologies like cloud and the Internet of Things were emerging on the scene, Deloitte released its first Tech Trends report. The organization has watched this evolution unfold as the digital imperative and the changing role of technology redefine the enterprise, yet adoption of these trends continues to vary widely. Some companies are only beginning to explore trends Deloitte wrote about in 2010, while others have advanced rapidly along the maturity curve.
Make no mistake: Technology is not just an enabling function. Tech is the universal language of business today. As the pace of change quickens, technology now leads business strategy. And Technology Trends has evolved from a CIO and CTO concern into something driving CEO, management team, boardroom agendasto redefine what enterprises can accomplish.
Tech Trends 2019: Beyond the digital frontier begins with a reflection on a decade of disruptive change driven by nine macro forces: digital experience, analytics, cloud, core modernization, cyber, business of information technology, cognitive, blockchain, and digital reality. The report further explores where these forces are headed.
Next, six trends that are giving rise to new operating models, redefining the nature of work, and dramatically changing ITs relationship with the business are detailed:
- AI-fueled organizations: Leading companies are systematically deploying rapidly maturing technologies machine learning, natural language processing, RPA, and cognitive not just to every core business process, but into products, services and the future of industries. Those organizations use of artificial intelligence is moving from Why? to Why not?
- NoOps in a serverless world: Weve reached the next stage in the evolution of cloud computing, with technical resources completely abstracted and management tasks increasingly automated. Freed from mundane responsibilities, IT talent can focus on activities that more directly support business outcomes.
- Connectivity of tomorrow: At both macro and micro levels, technologies like 5G, mesh networks, and edge computing are expanding business reach to both the far corners of the world and the smallest spaces in warehouses, retail stores, and other places with utmost precision. Advanced networking is the unsung hero driving development of new products and services and is transforming how work gets done.
- Intelligent interfaces: Today, people interact with technology through ever more intelligent interfaces that combine the latest in human-centered design techniques with leading-edge technologies such as computer vision, conversational voice, auditory analytics, augmented reality and virtual reality. Working in concert, these technologies and techniques are transforming the way we engage with machines, data and each other.
- Beyond MarketingExperience reimagined: To deliver the highly personalized, contextualized experiences that todays customers expect, some chief marketing officers are trading long-standing, traditional agency relationships for closer partnerships with their own CIOs. Enabled by a new generation of marketing tools and techniques focused on personalized, contextual and dynamic experiences, CIOs and CMOs can illuminate and engage customer needs and desires most effectively.
- DevSecOps and the cyber imperative: DevSecOps fundamentally transforms cyber, security, privacy and risk management from being compliance-based activitiestypically undertaken late in the development lifecycleinto essential framing mindsets across the product journey.
The final chapter explores how modern businesses can navigate digital transformationbuilding a roadmap that incorporates the right technologies, techniques, talent and executive support.
While we take a pragmatic view, we also aspire to understand fully how forces like serverless technology, connectivity capabilities, and intelligent interfaces are reshaping industries. The report details how organizational leadership can shape ambitions and instill a culture to sense and make sense of what tomorrow may bring. Andimportantlya path to get there from the realities of today.
Deloitte provides industry-leading audit, consulting, tax and advisory services to many of the worlds most admired brands, including nearly 90 percent of the Fortune 500 and more than 5,000 private and middle market companies. Our people work across the industry sectors that drive and shape todays marketplace to make an impact that mattersdelivering measurable and lasting results that help reinforce public trust in our capital markets, inspire clients to see challenges as opportunities to transform and thrive, and help lead the way toward a stronger economy and a healthy society. Deloitte is proud to be part of the largest global professional services network serving our clients in the markets that are most important to them.