ARC Data Shows International Passenger Trips Increased 7 Percent Year-Over-Year
Airlines Reporting Corp. (ARC) announced today that the consolidated dollar value of airline tickets sold by U.S.-based travel agencies increased more than 5 percent in November as compared to November 2017, totaling $7.1 billion vs. $6.8 billion.* The average U.S. round-trip ticket price for November 2018 was $498, up $13 from the same time in 2017.
The total number of passenger trips settled by ARC for U.S. travel agencies increased nearly 2 percent to 22,078,339 compared to 21,733,719 in November 2017. U.S. domestic trips decreased less than 2 percent while international passenger trips increased by 7 percent.
Electronic Miscellaneous Document (EMD)** sales in November 2018 totaled $6 million, a 1 percent increase compared to November 2017. EMD transactions decreased 8 percent to 86,940 in November 2018 vs. 94,441 in November 2017.
More detailed information is available on ARC’s website.
- Results are based on monthly sales data ending November 30, 2018, from 12,162 U.S. retail and corporate travel agency locations, satellite ticket printing offices and online travel agencies. Results do not include sales of tickets purchased directly from airlines.
- Average ticket price (in USD) for a round-trip ticket settled through ARC for an itinerary that included only U.S. domestic travel.
- Passenger trips include the total number of passengers taking a trip from one airport to another using either direct or connecting flights. Newly-issued trips are added, and refunded trips are deducted to provide a net view of traveling passengers.
- U.S. Domestic passenger trips include the total number settled through ARC where the itinerary is wholly within the U.S. International passenger trips include the total number settled through ARC where some or all of the travel occurs to airports outside the U.S. or originates outside the U.S.
- Total sales are equal to the total amount paid for a ticket, which includes taxes and fees.
**Electronic Miscellaneous Documents (EMD)
- Includes fees for products and services such as upgraded seats, checked luggage, an unaccompanied minor, pet-in-cabin, etc.